Merriam Turkey & Rio Grande Turkey Hunts
Join Triple C Outfitters this spring if you're a looking for a little piece of turkey heaven. New Mexico has two species of turkey in the Lincoln National Forest, Merriam and Rio Grande. Merriam wild turkeys spend their summers in the higher elevations, breeding, and move down in elevation for the winter months. Merriam's appear black with iridescent hues of gold, purple, and blue. The Rio Grande turkey is found in lower elevations throughout the state but is rarer in our hunting units. Rio Grandes appear black with gold tips with hues of copper and brown. Both species of wild turkey have keen eyesight and excellent hearing, making it a challenging hunt for even seasoned hunters. Mating season coincides with the arrival of warmer, longer days in late March and early April. It is not uncommon to hear birds gobbling from over a mile away on calm spring days. We typically roost 4-6 gobblers each evening during the peak of their mating season.
Over the last 5 years, we have averaged 90% shot opportunity on mature gobblers. For the spring turkey season you are allowed to harvest two bearded turkeys. This hunt is an excellent opportunity to harvest two species of wild turkey in one trip - putting you two turkeys closer to accomplishing the "Turkey Grand Slam"! All 3 day hunts include wall tent or cabin accommodations, meals, beverages, and professional guide service for the entire length of your hunt.
For any questions or to proceed with booking your hunt for the upcoming spring turkey season, call us at 505-506-6704. We look forward to having you as our guest!
Typical Day Turkey Hunting
After a early breakfast at camp, guests will depart for the field with their guides. It is typically a 20 minute drive to reach pre-scouted hunting grounds in the surrounding national forest. Your guide will have all the necessary calls, decoys, and blinds to successfully hunt these high country gobblers. Around noon, we will break for a field lunch followed by a midday rest. We are back at it, chasing gobblers until the last light. Shortly after arriving back at the camp, guests will be served a home cooked dinner. After dinner, you are on your own to enjoy the outdoor atmosphere around camp.
Pricing for our all-inclusive 3 day, 4 night spring turkey hunt is $1,500/person. Pricing for the 2 day Youth only hunt is $1000/person.
- Includes 3 days guide service, 4 nights lodging, meals and beverages
- We require a minimum of 2 hunters per 3 day hunt period.
- Non-hunting guest rate is $100/day.
- 50% deposit required within 5 days of booking your hunt, remaining 50% due 5 days prior to scheduled hunt.
- Pricing does not include 7% NM sales tax, license cost (outlined above), or customary guide gratuity.
Things to Know about Turkey Hunting
- The spring turkey season in NM is April 15 - May 10. An early Youth-only hunting season is scheduled for April 8-10. Turkey tags are available over-the-counter.
- Bag limit for the NM spring season is 2 bearded turkey.
- You may legally use any shotgun or bow/arrow during the spring season.
- The ratio of hunters/guide shall be 2/1, unless specific arrangements have been made for 1/1 guide service.